Friday, March 27, 2009

The Shamrock 5k. (pictures to come).

For those who didn't know... Which really shouldn't be too many of you that are ACTUALLY reading my blog... Erin and I have been training for a couple months prior for a 5 k run- (3.10 miles). Kind of for us a goal that became something we wanted to accomplish and focus on. Erin now vegetarian for quite a few various "skinny bitch" reasons. And no thats not what I call her when writing blogs... That was one of the resources that helped fuel her newer vegetarian kick.. (which will last her lifetime.) She and I both focused on running the distance, and also just plain old working out. Since Jan- my beautiful love- has lost I think just over 30 pounds! Pretty amazing her willpower and focus. Really its about becoming more holistic in the many different areas of our lives- and physical health is one of those. I have lost at this point- just under 30. I have a hard time saying no still even when by myself- usually at work- when the occasional croissant or scone floats by. Or my manager brings some killer cookies.. Anyways- the fact that I am struggling in only a few parts of my life- is still quite a difference of who I used to be. I also dont plan to ever see that specific 3 digit weight I was. lol.

The 5k. Thanks be to Shannon our official photographer, Tom our gleaming and super smiley proud father, and Jan, the rain and wind warrior. Maybe I should start this story with this... It was early in the morning, the clouds were highly present, as well as God's tears (or so I have heard it said- maybe of joy?), and crazy cold wind. The announcer was chipper, cracking jokes, the Richards (the almost not Richard) and Sutten clan were up and ready.

The race began. The hundreds if not thousandish runners were separated into groups of mile time status. We weren't sure how far the signs went back, but picked a spot. The race began and the herds moved forward. I took off pretty motivated. Erin found her steady speed. Some amount of time went by. Erin caught up. I paused to walk a couple of short times, as did she. There was a climbing hill - which unfortuneately the flat treadmill had not trained us for. We separated. I figured she would have wanted a cup of water- so I tried grabbing both of us one. after running a few blocks, carrying two open cups of water. Kinda difficult. Anyway i gave up trying to be a good husband. Later she had said she purposely had passed up the water station. Still separated we reached the final stretch. With so many runners, we lost sight of each other. She actually beat me by about 40 seconds or so. But we both got great times. each under 43 minutes. We hope to do another run soon, as its great to have something to work towards, and we also have found it was fun to donate to the cause. Plus we got a free long sleeve tshirt.

Afterwards, our rents, treated us to lunch at our favorite irish breakfast restaurant downtown, called Dulins. Though, we had been here one other time- with our great friends Kevin and Mel. We love them too. I guess Dulin's is only a place we go with people we love. For those that read this- the 3 of you. Thanks. Comments can be left by the way if you wish.

1 comment:

pinklady said...

congratulations on a race well finished! I'm so proud. :)